So, here we are at the start of Week 3 of my 3 week cycle. Side effects? Yes:
- Look at the picture. Can you see when the fatigue started to lift? Oh, the fatigue.
- Leg pain. Like my bones were being expanded from the inside. Deeply unpleasant deep deep pain. That settled with the fatigue.
- Altered taste. Bitter ramped up to number 11. Tea and coffee tasting like soap. That’s settling now.
- And now my hair is falling out. I feel like a moulting cat.
- Not really a side effect, but I haven’t been able to go in the water because of the Hickman line. It’s still healing. I’m hoping that, if I’m very sensible and keep it to the end of the cycle, I’ll be able to immerse myself in the sea with a waterproof dressing once everything has healed.
You knew I started Docetaxel, right? We all decided that, while Capecitapine had worked, it was a bit of a risk re-starting it , even at a lower dose. We’re keeping it in reserve. That left me with a choice of intravenous medication. My veins are stuffed – too much surgery, too many interventions. When I was in hospital after the Capecitapine overload it was a real struggle to find veins. So I had a Hickman put in. Once all my stitches are out and dressings are off it will disappear under my collarbone – you won’t notice in under a shirt, but you will see a little white tube under lower necklines. Ho hum.
On the plus side – no nausea, no diarrhoea (except when I ate veggie burritos and had a pina colada – what was I thinking? I think I still have a slightly irritable bowel from the Cap.).
So, all in all, not too bad. I’ll take it. And now I know what to expect I think it will be easier.